Sails & Sorcery

Kung Fu-ool's Comments

The best place to think out loud! A public forum where your minor errors can be magnified to incredible failures when your readers wildly misinterpret what you write.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilmington, Delaware, United States

A friend of mine convinced me to start this blog. Oh what an adventure it's been ever since.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I don't know about you, but I'm not entirely comfortable living in a fascist country

Yes, that's right, fascist. With the death of right of habeas corpus, the Constitution no longer holds any meaning, because when you're imprisioned and cannot do a thing about it, what's the use of those other rights? Don't like a gun toting NRA guy? Label him "enemy combatant" and imprison him indefinitely. Don't like a environmental terrorist group? Label them "enemy combatants" and imprison them till they rot. With the loss of habeas corpus, our rights are no longer questionably being assaulted by the Bush administration, they are directly being assaulted by the assholes and all in the guise of making us "safer". I'll tell you somthing: I don't feel safer. I feel less and less safe the more this administration pulls in the guise of "safety". This is why we should not be trying to be a democracy, but a republic. At least in a republic, you have the hope that the a majority of the people voting are educated enough to know what things like habeas corpus actually means. The fact that no one has the right to challenge their imprisionment anymore, this does indeed include American citizens, means we live under the control of a fascist goverment. I'm going to quote Ben Franklin yet again because he's still right a couple centuries later:
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Personally, I'd rather be posting about how the Wii is going to crush all foes with its now 2 MILLION consoles ready for sale. I'd like to be excited about that, but the fact that now I could be thrown into prison with no hope of legal escape has kind of irked me a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home