Sails & Sorcery

Kung Fu-ool's Comments

The best place to think out loud! A public forum where your minor errors can be magnified to incredible failures when your readers wildly misinterpret what you write.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilmington, Delaware, United States

A friend of mine convinced me to start this blog. Oh what an adventure it's been ever since.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

An odd thought

As an amateur writer of modern fantasy and fiction, I have some interesting thinking patterns. Trying to apply the unreal to the real makes my mind ever so wacky in certain arenas. So I was watching an episode of Bullshit (watch lot of them here for free) in which Penn and Teller were busy pointing out that the bible cannot be "true" if you intend to take it literally. Though I do rather enjoy listening to that kind of thing, put my minor to use and all, but while they were talking about the death and rising of Christ, as well as the miracles that included raising the dead. Can you guess where I'm going with this?

That's right: Necromancy. So Christ was a necromancer! That makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? Think about it. Necromancers are those who hold the very power of life and death; they can give you life or drain it away. They can animate your corpse after you are dead and even put your soul back in your body and grant you a second chance! What else would Christ be? He's raising people from the dead left and right and defying death itself, wresting his way back from the grim embrace to return to tell the good word more!

This of course, leads me to my next logical conclusion: maybe Christ didn't raise from the dead... maybe he became a lich! That's right, his death on the cross was an elaborate part of the ritual transference of his life energies into a safe place, letting his immortal body roam once more without fear of damage. The only problem there is figuring out what exactly he could put his spirit into that would be safe enough for his liking. Not many glass jars about at that point. But that way, in raising to heaven, there's no more worry about Christ aging too much before the second coming.

This is what's wrong with me. I just like the idea of raising people from the dead too much. But does anyone think there's a short story to be found in a necromancer raising Christ from the grave for reasons all his own? I think there might be.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang on a second there blasphemer...

Christ wasn't a necromancer because he didn't simply "reanimate" Lazarus. Christ brought his very essence back from the beyond and reversed the natural order. Lazarus lived for years after that as he did before he died. he wasn't a controlled being, nor was he a zombie because I don't remember ever reading about Lazarus' craving for human flesh.

Christ, on the other hand, also didn't come back as an undead thing. He came back as a deified man which is something so alien to the whole necromancy belief.

I bet all my old religion teachers' heads are exploding right now wondering how I can argue Christian Dogma in a black-magic idea.

We're both odd.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Ethyachk said...

Necromancers can both reanimate people as well as simple return them to life in my little world. Our views of Necromancy don't necessarily have to agree what with necromancers not actually technically existing (Christ not withstanding).
I could go further, but as I respect your religion, I'm gonna shut my yap. My old religion teachers heads probably would have exploded had they spoken directly me to me more than a couple times. :)

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home