Sails & Sorcery

Kung Fu-ool's Comments

The best place to think out loud! A public forum where your minor errors can be magnified to incredible failures when your readers wildly misinterpret what you write.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilmington, Delaware, United States

A friend of mine convinced me to start this blog. Oh what an adventure it's been ever since.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Have you heard of Pandora?

I'm sure most of you have heard the myth of Pandora's box (and if you haven't, shame on you). However, I'm pretty sure most of you have not heard of the Music Genome Project. The MGP is an attempt by a buncha artists to create an algorithm that can be given a song or band to start from that will then start picking new music for you to listen to based on a set number of parameters. You give the algorithm feedback, and it starts to learn what your musical tastes are. With enough time, the algorithm should, in theory, always provide you with music you like without just sticking to the same bands all the time.

I've made several stations, and frankly, when you consider just how smegging picky I am when it comes to music, it's bloody amazing to see this thing work. I've rarely gotten more than three songs in a row I didn't like, and there are times when I don't have to skip a song or have anything to complain about for hours. Swapping your personalized stations to go with your mood couldn't be easier. It's like radio, except you don't have to listen to hours of crap to maybe hear the three songs you really want to hear.

So where's the smegging link? Linky: http://www.pandora.com/

Go! Play! Listen! ROCK!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home