Sails & Sorcery

Kung Fu-ool's Comments

The best place to think out loud! A public forum where your minor errors can be magnified to incredible failures when your readers wildly misinterpret what you write.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilmington, Delaware, United States

A friend of mine convinced me to start this blog. Oh what an adventure it's been ever since.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Fun with user defined dictionaries

Well, I've more or less finished with all my work on books one and two of my modern fantasy series. Both are about as ready for publishing as they're gonna be, so I am going to leave them alone and not so much as look at them until I hear something more about publishing them. Since a fairly vital part of my fourth book is an interview with an old boss of mine, who is failing to get back to me quickly, I can't do any more planning or outlining of that book. As such, I've turned back to my high fantasy book, and actually made serious progress in it.

For some reason, I hadn't been able to get past one point in the book for something like six months. I'd keep trying, write three sentences, hate them, and give up for a while. I did that several times before I figured out a way to actually write that chapter. And now, even though I did something interesting in the chapter, I still don't like the chapter. So I decided to say fuck it, rammed some crappy shit on the end of the chapter and moved on to the next one. That chapter is already turning out to be much more interesting, so good for me, I made it past the stupid writers block!

One of the things that's annoyed me about dealing with OpenOffice is that sometimes their dictionary is missing things or just bloody wrong. This is in a very tiny percentage of cases, but it can be annoying. The other irritant is that writing high fantasy means coming up with names that are definitely either new or just not something you'd ever see in any dictionary anywhere. Why is this fun? Because on of the neat things about OO.org is that you can create user defined dictionaries, thus putting all your new words in a named dictionary. I named mine ThoseWhoHuntDictionaries. I am easily amused. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home