Sails & Sorcery

Kung Fu-ool's Comments

The best place to think out loud! A public forum where your minor errors can be magnified to incredible failures when your readers wildly misinterpret what you write.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilmington, Delaware, United States

A friend of mine convinced me to start this blog. Oh what an adventure it's been ever since.

Friday, July 27, 2007

I have to Jerry Bruckheimer up my first book

In case you weren't aware that to Jerry Bruckheimer something is actually a verb, allow me to explain: to Jerry Bruckheimer something is to fill it with action, explosions, etc. I came up with this verb after watching National Treasure, a fun not good movie with lots of action and unnecessary explosions Knowing that, we can move on.

I went to my favorite bookstore today, got a few books, and spoke with my editor about what he thinks I might want to do with my books (he's mostly done editing the second one). The first thing he told me was that the second book was better (so far) than the first and that I should consider merging the two books into one. A little discussion and we decided that maybe that book would be too long. The second book, you see, is better paced and more action packed than the first one. It's definitely the superior book so far and FBO thinks that I won't get much of a readership with the first book for the second book to shine.

So in talking about it, I asked FBO if he thought that action was missing from the first book. He said yes, so I suggested a couple of scenes that could turn from short and somewhat boring (if funny by my standards) chapters into more interesting chapters. Mostly they become more interesting by adding explosions or fight scenes. When I suggested to FBO that I should Jerry Bruckheimer up the first book he laughed and said that was a great idea. Now I have to look through the first book and find places to make things blow up more, help foreshadow things, have characters try to kill each other more often, that sort of thing.

Honestly, I've always known that my first book was weak compared to the two I wrote after it. I've made so many changes to that first book that it's kind of annoying to do it again, but this is what happens when you cut your teeth on a book that has potential that you can't do well enough on immediately. Irritating, yes, that I have to go change my stupid book yet again, but on the plus side, I've already thought of two somewhat interesting scenes that could become FAR more violent and therefore fascinating. :) Jerry Bruckheimering up my book shouldn't be too hard, and it could be a great deal of fun. I certainly hope so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home