Sails & Sorcery

Kung Fu-ool's Comments

The best place to think out loud! A public forum where your minor errors can be magnified to incredible failures when your readers wildly misinterpret what you write.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilmington, Delaware, United States

A friend of mine convinced me to start this blog. Oh what an adventure it's been ever since.

Friday, December 08, 2006

The Dvorak experiment is over

That's right, I gave up. I looked back at how long I'd been working on this and decided that I couldn't stand typing that slow anymore. So long as I don't think about what keys are where, I'm already back up to my normal typing speed. Maybe a little slower as I have occasionally forgotten that I put the "T" key back on the other side of the keyboard, but my muscle memory is much stronger than my knew memories of where the keys are, so that's cool.

I'm not saying that I don't believe Dvorak isn't the better designed keyboard, far from it. I'm saying that in a world where getting away from qwerty keyboards is impossible that I also need to be able to type quickly in, Dvorak isn't working for me. I've been typing for like a decade so getting rid of years of experience in exchange for something new is just not feasible. If I were unemployed for a while I might give Dvorak another go, but since I cannot escape qwerty at the moment I'm just going to keep 90 wpm as my weapon of typing choice. Who knows, maybe after all that practice, I'm going to see a speed boost in my typing even though I wasn't practicing with the same keyboard layout. Seems like I'm typing a little faster, but I could just be so happy to not be typing at 40 wpm that everything seems like a hundred miles an hour.

Anyway, I still get geek cred for trying, and I did become a competent dvorak typist. But competent has never been enough before, so why start with competency now? Back to getting things done very quickly. I don't know how, but someday I will reach my goal of typing at the speed of human speech. 140 wpm might seem like a crazy impossible goal, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to give it a shot!

2 Comments:

Blogger Shane said...

I am no way close to your speed, maybe that was why switching was so easy for me.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Ethyachk said...

According to what I've read, most people regain their qwerty speed within about a month. Course, they didn't mention what those previous speeds were, so maybe they meant people who typed at 40 wpm got back to that quickly. It took me years to get this fast with qwerty, so it might take the same with dvorak, and I just don't have the time for that given my job requires me to type fairly fast. Oh well, I guess my dream speed of 140 wpm is going to take more qwerty training.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home